February 14, 2012

friendship




MOPS could not have been more perfect this morning. (Mops is a biweekly gathering of about a hundred moms in our area, with childcare provided, an amazing breakfast provided, good company, various speakers....I know it sounds cheesy to any non-parents out there, believe me, I stood on that side of the fence once upon a recent time. But OH, open childcare & free food PLUS amazing women who just GET YOU? Let's just say that the last time I had to miss mops because max & I were sick, I just cried at home in my bed. It was THAT sad. Mops is wonderful!!)

We ladies kind of lucked out that mops fell on valentine's day this week. We got to wear pink, eat chocolate covered strawberries, receive bags of cookies from our sweet table leaders....AND best of all, I heard an amazing talk on friendship. It was so timely for me. I've been wrestling a lot lately with how to be a good friend, and the friendships in my life that are in flux due to big life changes for all of us. It's been a hard transition! And where in the friendship manual on this stuff?! I have been just STUCK lately, wishing for wisdom in this area.

And then a sweet couple of women got up on stage today, and shared very candidly about their friendship of 35 years. Pam & Wendy, thank you for your honesty!!! It was exactly what I've been praying for, and really needing to hear. SO MUCH WISDOM packed into a 40 minute talk.
(and I'm so thankful I had the presence of mind to whip out my phone and record nearly the entire thing! The first two minutes are a little muffled, but it should be good after that. Minus a few squeals from babies here or there....it IS a gathering of a hundred moms, after all.)

Please listen if you get the chance! I totally understand that 40 minutes is kind of a ridiculous amount of time to sacrifice during the day, so maybe put it on while you're doing dishes or something :) You could also click on the share button up there, download it quick (click share, then "link to mp3", then download) and put it on your ipod while you work out. Just giving you options here! Because really, we could all benefit from learning how to be better friends. It starts with us.

Happy Valentine's Day, everybody. My heart is so full today, from the talk this morning, from the lessons I continue to learn with my husband, from the love God has poured out on me, and all of us, for my mini-Valentine asleep in his crib right now. Thank God for love!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks, Kara! I'm so glad that you get to be part of that group of moms, and that you recorded and shared that message. It's given me lots to think about, too :)
I love you, friend.

kw said...

thanks rachel :) I love you too. I am thankful that we are together in this season of life, and love that Max recognizes & gets excited to see you! You are a huge blessing to me, I can't tell you that enough!