May 25, 2012

The City of Roses

We are here!  We are settled in, and now we are finding our way around this pretty & artsty city.  I can tell these six weeks are going to fly by, especially now that week one is nearly entirely under our belt.  Today is the first day that we got up with the sun, and I hope it's here to stay for a little while!

So, I've become pretty lousy at taking pictures with my real camera.  Pure laziness is what it is, but it really is difficult to work at capturing moments when I'm busy chasing Max around (especially since I didn't have Jon's help with the kiddo during my trip home!)  I could have done better though.  The poor camera didnt even see daylight, spending the entire week in my backpack.  And then there's the weather factor too, where I don't dare bring the thing out if it's raining, or there's a chance of precipitation in the least.  That said, I only took a few pictures during the whole trip, with my phone.  Here's a smattering of my instagram photos (incidentally, my instagram name is punchykara if you'd like to follow me ;)...

All things considering (Jon being sick, Max being sick, ME being sick, Max teething, long plane rides & long car rides, sleeping in one new place after the next, and being totally overstimulated multiple times a day), Max did exceptionally well on the trip!  We had our share of tears trying to get from Seattle to Chicago/Wisconsin and back, but he was really patient overall.  I think my parents, sister, and nephews&niece kind of forced him out of his separation anxiety phase, because he has been so much more independent ever since!  His sleep schedule was all out of whack during the trip, and I paid dearly in sleep deprivation, but I can't really fault him for that.

It was so wonderful watching my youngest bro graduate from college (again, no pictures.  boo) and see a few familiar faces from my college days.  We enjoyed some lovely time at home with my family, and got a taste of spring weather (no thanks to you, Seattle!).  I love love loved watching Max become familiar and affectionate with my parents and siblings, and really cracked up at him pretending to be a sibling with Merian & Emmett as he wrestled them for their toys.  I saw Henry turn six years old, and cherished being a part of his birthday party, something I havent been to in five years!  I ate lunch with him at his kindergarten one day (lower left photo above), and am amazed at the sweet little boy he's become.

We said some tearful goodbyes, and journeyed back down to Chicago with David, wished him a giant congratulations for his master's graduation as well (yesterday in fact!  woohoo!!) and then flew back home.  I am so so thankful for kind people on the airplane that helped a new momma out with her cabin-fevered boy.  I'm really thankful that the trip happened, and continue to miss my family dearly : )

Then two days later, we moved to Portland!  Jon's company has been super gracious to us and is housing us in some really nice diggs.  The transition has been SO smooth and painless, and Max almost instantly adjusted into an AWESOME sleeping schedule!  We've never really had that! HALLELUJAH!  I attribute it to the wide-open space he has to play, and our lives finally slowing down enough for regular nap & bedtimes.  It's a beautiful thing.
Here he is, just a blur as he zoomed out of my viewfinder:
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9346/dsc2086y.jpg
I think he's changed SO much in the past few weeks.  9.5 months old, and he wants to go EVERYwhere.  There's not a lot he considers off-limits.  He eats really really well, and wants to try everything that we're eating.  His favorite foods currently are scrambled eggs, strawberries, watermelon, string cheese, guacamole, goldfish crackers, cheerios, mashed potatoes & gravy, rice, fish (can you believe that one, mom?!), and yeah...whatever we give him, I guess!  Thankful for no allergies as of yet!

He's starting to understand the word "No"...and that's interesting to watch his inner struggle as I tell him not to play with the cable box or cords & wires.  "But I WANT to, mom!  Don't you know I need to explore everything?"  He even listens to me sometimes!  Ha, most of the time he doesnt, but we'll just keep at it.

He's finally experimenting with saying "Da!"...and i know "Dada!" is coming any day now.  So excited for Jon's sake, as Max has stuck exclusively to "Momma" for the past few months :)
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2316/dishes.jpg http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8114/eatq.jpg
Did I mention that he's been teething?  Good heavens, the poor boy went from two teeth to SIX...in two week's time.  Feel free to click on the picture below and glance at his mouthful of chompers.  His side top teeth came in before the middle ones, and I've loved giggling at my vampire baby when he smiles real wide.  You can see he clearly loves it when I try to get a peek at them, haha.
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1558/dsc2123r.jpg
Here are a few shots of our temporary home.  So much natural light!  Even cloudy days are brighter in here than a sunny day in our old home.  Max & Jack both love it here, you can just tell by the way they each stand or sit in the window, and look at the things happening outside.
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8771/housekd.jpg
This neighborhood is the COOLEST.  We live in a part of town called the Pearl District, and have nearly everything at our fingertips.  Maybe today I'll finally take my camera outside and show you some shots of our street.  I love it!  Below you can see a couple of different views from our fifth floor windows...the green picture is Jameson park, which Max is a big fan of.  There's a fun water fountain that kids love to run through, but Max is more than happy to simply crawl through it.  Yesterday I actually let him get totally soaked.  Ha.  Looking forward to summer days when it isn't too cold for that.

Max & I have spent as much time as it isn't raining to walk around the city, and take the street car.  He LOVES riding the lightrail!

Top left is the train station....so close to us!!
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/4449/viewuw.jpg
And I knew the day would come that Max picks up speed and begins to terrorize our cat!!  Don't be too fooled by the top picture.  True, she was hiding from him when I took that shot (not a very good hiding job, kitty :P ), but I suspect for the most part that she loves it.  Jon & I don't have the time that we used to play with her, and suddenly there is someone who always wants to!  So what if their only game is "Chase the cat around the house"?  Or the old classic "Flop on top of Kitty."  She's really really good with him, and tolerates his boy-ness!  Please enjoy the video below, and ignore the end when Max bonks his head on the chair :)


http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/391/dsc2115u.jpg


Happy Memorial Day weekend!  We don't have any plans as of yet, but I'm just thrilled to have a weekend with both my boys, and none of us are sick!!  We might go to Multnomah Falls, or the Farmer's Market, or take some train rides, or go to a carnival....We'll figure it out!  I'll do my best to bring the camera with me.

I want to name my camera.  Give me some good ideas!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Kara! What a great post! Looking at your pictures makes it feel like FOREVER since I've hung out with you and Max. That video is GREAT! And I can't wait to come down and visit.

Because I love alliteration and because of your Hispanic heritage :) I'm going to suggest Consuelo for your camera.

kw said...

I know your's was the only camera name suggestion, rachel, but I think even up against contenders that Consuelo would take the prize. I love it!

I told Jon yesterday that I bet you visit us more than once during our short stay here. Once you see our place and our neighborhood...the cafe across the street has a ton of adirondack chairs out on its boardwalk where everyone just reads in the sunshine. I think you are gonna love it :)
I miss you!