May 3, 2010

Vacay 2010 ("The Windy City")

Hello from chicago! Can I just say how much I love vacation? I love vacation!
Originally supposed to be Italy 2010, airfare never dropped below our acceptable price range, so Jon & I revamped our plans for our vacation. Our FIRST real vacation since our honeymoon, yes.

A few days in Chicago, a few days in Wisconsin, and then a roadtrip/five days in Lake Tahoe. Wahoo! Life was getting a little hectic back in Seattle for me, and I didnt even realize how much I needed to get away.
But now that I'm away....I am in heaven. I am playing hard, and seeing so many people I love...I can't even contain my excitement.
We have been blessed with PERFECT weather (high 70s, gorgeous sun, even now I sit here...slightly itchy from the mild sunburn I got today. LOVE it.)
But alas, for our chicago portion, Jon has to attend a bit of PwC training....and we weren't able to fly here together. Ha, he was minutes behind me on a different plane, but it's okay. I'm staying with one of my closest buddies from college, Cathleen and her hubs Eric.
I'm riding all around chicago transit like old times, and enjoying doing whatever I want! Today Cath met me on her lunch (grabbed some chicago-style pizza), and ate at a cute restaurant out in the sun. And while we were basking in the good times, a different old friend from college just strolled on by! It was awesome to see Jason, just one of those people you never expected to see again.

Then I made my way thru the loop via the L, to lake michigan and the Shedd Aquarium. I hate to admit it, but Seattle's got NOTHING on chicago in the way of museums. absolutely nothing. I hadn't been to the Shedd in almost four years, and missed it dearly. So I went back!

getting used to the trains again (with the slightest odor of urine, of course)...

this was our first night in town. favorite greasy burger spot, Portillos. Here we are, devouring italian beef sandwiches...

I know it doesnt look appetizing, but trust me when I say it's the food of the gods...


missing our old stomping grounds...

not as pet friendly as Seattle...

always miscellaneous art around the city...

I met a girl on my walk to the aquarium. She helped take my picture, and I helped her...

Her name was Cheryl. We became friends quickly, but parted ways as she went to the Field Museum...

the shedd...

view from the museums. nothing better!

so excited :)





I hung out all evening/night with Cathleen. She toured me around her neighborhood, and I was awesomely surprised to learn that a street with a bunch of Frank Lloyd Wright houses was a mere STREET over from her. A super fun & informative stroll.

cathleen- yes, the girl I got my tongue pierced with in college :) Some bonds last a lifetime.
we rounded off the day with frozen yogurt, went to see Disney's Oceans (all the sea life today has got me determined to get back into scuba diving this summer!!), played wii, and just laughed all evening. I love it when my face hurts from smiling and laughing. I love this girl.

so that was the first real day of my vacay!! I know I'm hopelessly addicted to the internet, but it's my vacation, and I'll do what I want!
Tomorrow I hope to meet up with an old camp buddy for coffee, hang out with Samara, De & Jacoah (Finally get to meet my dear friend's baby!!!!!!), maybe swing past my massage school for a massage at the ol' faithful student clinic, and then go out for yummy chicago food with some more dear friends of ours. More pictures to come!


No comments: